“The new year stands before us, like a chapter in a book, waiting to be written. We can help write that story by setting goals.” ~ Melody Beattie
The holidays have passed. The decorations are down and packed away. Folks are settling into the new year with a fresh start, percolating ideas and challenging resolutions.
Years ago, I started making a personal resolution (something for or about me personally) and a professional resolution (something for or about my professional development). Before the ink dries on your list of resolutions, let me try to influence your final list of professional resolutions. Consider one or more of the following:
- Develop a new, or review your existing, Immigration Sponsorship Policy.
- Conduct an internal (you) or external (me) partial I-9 Audit.
- Conduct an H-1B Audit, including Public Access Files.
- Review and update position descriptions and minimum hiring criteria.
- Update your company data with your Immigration Counsel (current number of U.S. based employees, current number of world-wide employees, 2015 Gross Income, 2015 Net Income, office locations, updated company brochures, etc.)
- Communicate with your Immigration Counsel NOW regarding any employees in F-1 Student Visa Status working under Optional Practical Training – the April 1st H-1B lottery process is right around the corner.
- Run an analysis on H-1B dependency.
- Work with your Immigration Counsel to review data on all current international employees, including current status, expiration dates, visa max dates, job titles, job locations, etc.
- Work with your Immigration Counsel to develop a 2016 budget for identifiable expenses associated with maintaining the immigration status of your current international employees.
- Work with your Immigration Counsel to update company descriptions, lines of business, departments, divisions, affiliates, etc.
While I understand that tackling all ten of the listed resolutions is a huge undertaking, I encourage you to pick three. Perhaps with some effective delegation to trusted colleagues you can check off even more. And, our Team is always here to assist as well!
“Every time you tear a leaf off a calendar, you present a new place for new ideas and progress.”~ Charles Kettering