Providing Comprehensive Immigration Services to Families Nationwide 

Although family unity is one of the four goals of the U.S. immigration system, the system is always not kind to families and individuals who are seeking green cards to legally enter the country. The key to a successful family-based immigration process is to know your processing options and plan appropriately.  That is why our lawyers at Dowd & Company PC are here to assist with all of your family-based immigration matters, no matter how complex they might be. 

Our experienced legal team is committed to providing clients in Richmond and across the nation with the skilled legal representation and guidance they need to obtain family-based green cards. Our top priority is protecting your rights and interests.

If you are ready to get started on the green card process so you can begin your new life in the United States, then don't hesitate to get in touch with Dowd & Company PC to review all of your options. We represent families and individuals from around the world and strive to provide clear guidance on available all immigration processes, including benefits, risk, processing times and other information you need to make informed decisions. 

Who Can Sponsor a Family Member for a Green Card?

One of the most common methods of obtaining a green card is through a qualifying relative who is either a United States citizen or a lawful permanent resident. U.S. citizens cans sponsor their fiancés, spouses, children, parents, and siblings. U.S. permanent residents can only sponsor their spouses and minor unmarried children.

FAQ: Family-Based Immigration 

Question #1: Who is considered an immediate relative?

A: The term immediate relative applies to spouses, parents, and children of U.S. citizens.

Question #2: Who is considered a preference relative?

A: The term preference relative applies to certain relatives of U.S. citizens and permanent residents. Preference relatives include:

  • Married and unmarried sons and/or daughters (over 21) of U.S. citizens
  • Brothers and/or sisters of U.S. citizens
  • Spouses, minor children, and unmarried sons and/or daughters (over 21) of U.S. permanent residents

Question #3: Are there different wait times for immediate and preference relatives?

A: Preference relatives must wait for their priority dates to be current before they can obtain a green card. Immediate relatives do not face waiting times for visa availability.

Question #4: How do I petition for a relative?

A: You must file Form I-130 on behalf of the qualifying relative. If the relative lives outside the U.S., then their immigrant visa case must go through consular processing.

Let Us Take a Look at Your Green Card Case Today

Dowd & Company PC has represented clients in numerous family-based immigration cases, and we know what it takes to protect your rights and interests if you want to obtain a green card to be with relatives or family in the United States. Please get in touch with our firm today to find out what we can do to help you get started on your immigration journey. 

If you need help overcoming legal obstacles with your family-based immigration case, please call (804) 413-6962 or complete our online form to request your case consultation with our firm.